Friday, January 29, 2010

The end of computer animation by hand?

I have thought seriously about doing computer animation as a profession.
The industry is very interesting to me,
bringing characters to life, different animation styles and overall it's just plain fun.
However after lots of research on the subject,
calling a few colleges and looking at what the future of the industry is I decided against it as a career.
With motion tracking getting as good as it is the industry is shrinking,
with technology growing at such an exponential rate a MoCap system optical,
magnetic, visual or otherwise will be affordable enough that it will phase out most of the need for animators.
Pixar comes immediately to mind that they do not utilize motion capture,
Monster house for instance and many other productions utilize mainly Motion capture.
They will still be needed to do physically impossible animations, to clean it up and do cartoons within the spectrum of loony tunes, however the future seems rather bleak.

I will still mess around, I will sometime do a nice animated short and make almost all aspects of the short nice, however right now I'm focusing on my education.
I'm wanting to earn my Associate of Arts before I'm 18 and proceed with my business degree,
I'm hoping to get the latter by the time I'm 22 possibly 23.
Many people have more than one degree, maybe just maybe there is the opportunity of getting a job in animation after I have a "real" secure job, I mean I can dream right ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to here your opinion!